If you are in some way involved with the logistics business, you will certainly be familiar with the dramatically increasing lack of drivers which need to deal with while the growing volume of goods to be transported on European roads. This trend logically intensifies the competition amongst companies engaged in road transport for trained and qualified drivers, which in turn makes it potentially very appealing for drivers to change jobs.
So, why – despite all this – do some companies manage to keep their drivers?
– Invest in young people – hire and train youngsters from your area and make them enthusiastic about your company. Train and develop them systematically and you will likely walk a long way together!
– Make sure you are keeping your fleet up-to-date! New trucks are more appealing to drive and likely have a larger, more comfortable cabin for your drivers. Make sure you invest in the driver cabin which is your drivers’ second home!
– Connect your drivers while on the road! New mobile apps are appearing which fill these hours of lonesome driving with social interactions! Since these apps can often do much more by digitalizing various processes in the logistics chain you will simultaneously improve your business.
– A good atmosphere at the workplace is a real differentiator! Give your drivers a chance to spend time with their colleagues from across the company – employee parties and special events like truck racing will be greatly appreciated!
– Reward your drivers by providing them with special benefits like free meals or sports vouchers. Talk to your fuel station partners to create special treats for them!
– Help balance private and public spheres. Keep working hours flexible so that e.g. medical appointments or family events can be attended.
– Avoid monotony. Keep routes flexible and listen to your drivers’ preferences.
– You, as a supervisor, have a great impact when you are available for your drivers! This is another win-win situation as you also learn what is going on amongst your drivers and can react quickly if necessary!
– Finally, also money is a form of appreciation. Consider to pay above standard and pay on time! Reward good behaviour with bonuses, which are achievable and highlight outstanding performance to all your employees.
Tell us what works for you!